Q: Do King’s nominees have to live in the UK to get a Knighthood or Damehood?

Honours can be awarded to individuals living all over the world. UK citizens living abroad can be nominated through the Foreign Secretary’s Overseas List. The List is made up of awards given to UK citizens and citizens of a Commonwealth country of which HM The King is Head of State.

Non-UK citizens can be considered for an honour for their work within the UK. UK citizen’s achievements can benefit other UK citizens either at home or in their chosen country abroad, or must bring distinction to the UK in some way.

Any individual who is recommended for a knighthood or damehood must be doing inspirational and outstanding work that goes above and beyond that of their peers. The nominee will have achieved results that benefit the community, their peers or society at large in some way, whether at home or abroad. 

Nominations for KBEs and DBEs are often the result of an exceptional achievement, and may be made in any area; from business and philanthropy to professional work, public service, and sport or the arts. Often individuals are recognised with a knighthood or damehood for their work in more than one area, for example, for their professional role and for their charitable work.