What does the House of Lords do?

The House of Lords is the second chamber of the UK Parliament. It works with the House of Commons to: make laws check and challenge the actions of the government, and provide a forum of independent expertise The House of Lords Chamber spends about 60% of its time on legislation; the other 40% is spent on scrutiny – questioning…

Read More

What’s the time commitment if I join the Lords?

The Lords sit four days a week, Monday-Thursday. You are not expected to attend every sitting, although you can if you wish. Regular attendance is expected, perhaps a day a week, for example. You may also choose to join various sub-committees. So joining the Lords is like becoming a non-executive director of a large prestigious…

Read More

Can I get an honour if I haven’t paid all my tax?

You might not immediately think that tax and honours have anything in common but the two are inextricably linked when it comes to successful honours nominations for UK citizens. The reality is if your taxes are up-to-date, your nomination for an honour stands a better chance of success. The reason applications take between 12 and 18…

Read More